The fine, lofty pinnacles of Conington’s magnificent tower can be seen from the Great North Road and from the main rail route to Edinburgh. This late medieval church is a light-filled wonder, its clear glass Perpendicular windows displaying almost lace-like tracery. This very handsome church was built as a whole at the end of the fifteenth century with only minor embellishments later. Highlights include: arcades; a piscina and sedilia; the original nave roof and chapel screens; excellent pews and other furnishings mostly dating from 1841.

The estate of Conington belonged to Maud, niece of William the Conqueror, who married David, son of the Scottish King Malcolm in 1109. Conington remained part of Scotland until 1237 and was eventually passed to the Cotton family, whose gloriously opulent monuments spanning three centuries are held in the church today, together with memorials to a Scottish king and a prince.